Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. Thomas Jefferson
Do You Possess the Success ATTITUDE?
What is your attitude like? Is it positive or negative? Is everything a disaster in your life or is everything a success in your life? You determine what attitude you wake up with. You’re either a positive or a negative person. Being positive is so much easier. I believe being negative takes work. Let me explain: Being negative puts you in an angry mood. Think about this for a minute: negative people generally are bitterer and less successful. I can honestly say that out of all the successful people I know, not one of them looks at the glass as being half empty. It just feels good being positive. Having a positive attitude makes you happier which in turn attracts better things in your life.
I can remember back in the early 2000′s, after my shooting incident, my attitude started getting worse and worse. I became more cynical. Everything was an uphill battle. I hated being around people. I felt my life spiraling out of control. Nothing was going my way. I knew that if I wanted to crash and burn, I had to change something and I had to change it fast. So, I committed to working on my attitude. I began to slowly weed out everything that caused my attitude to be negative. Let me give you some examples of the things that gave me a negative attitude in a blink of an eye. Watching television, reading the news, watching the local/national news, being around people that were negative. Once I cut these things out of my life I started feeling better, more positive, and healthier. I consider these things that I just described like cancer. It was eating me from the inside out.
Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Albert Einstein
In order to be a positive more optimistic person you must surround yourself with positive people and things. I know, you’re probably thinking easier said than done, right? Wrong! If I can do this, so can you. Below are lists of things you must do in order to change your negative, unsuccessful attitude into a positive, Successful Attitude.
1) Negativity- Whatever makes your attitude negative, stop it at once. If you feel your attitude changing for the worst, for example watching the news or hanging with a friend whose always crying about their problems, cut them out of your life immediately.
2) Do things that make your happy- Whatever makes you smile, do it more often. If it’s buying someone behind you in line at your local coffee shop a cup of coffee, do it.
3) Exercise- Just about everyone hates to exercise. Exercise is a prerequisite for a happier, healthier life. Start out slow and work up to your pace. You will see almost instantly what this does to your attitude.
4) Get 8hrs of sleep- If you want to be refreshed and feel alive you must get enough sleep. Sleep is as important to your attitude as a boat is to water.
5) Stay Hydrated- Drink a lot of clear fluids. No soda, coffee, tea. This is okay in moderation but you must drink plenty of water throughout the day. It will keep your brain hydrated and make you feel energetic all day which in turn will make your attitude more positive.
6) Eat Healthy- You must eat a rainbow a day. You must eat plenty of vegetables along with a protein at every meal. Eat your biggest meal in the morning. The saying goes like this, eat breakfast like a king, eat lunch like a prince and eat dinner like a pulper. Eat nothing after 6pm but do drink water.
7) Love what you do- You must love your profession. You have to wake up every day knowing that you are doing what you are passionate about. Do not choose a career for the money. Choose a career that you are so passionate about and believe me the rest will follow.
8) Read/Watch positive things- Take 30 minutes when you wake up and 30 minutes when you call it a night to read something that makes you happy.
9) Have a gratitude journal- Take 15 minutes each night to write in a composition book of all the things you are grateful for. Remember, it’s the small things in life that matter.
10) Write down your goals- Before you begin to read something positive when you awake each morning, be sure to write down your goals on the things you want to accomplish, short term and long term. By writing your goals each day, you have something to look forward too, something to work towards. By doing this, you’ll see your positive attitude and success go through the roof!
I’m John R. Salkowski, Founder of AchieveSuccessAcademy.com, Entrepreneur, Leadership/Overcoming PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) Expert, Author and Speaker on Leadership, Success and Overcoming Adversity. Retired Police Officer, Survivor of PTSD stemming from a shoot and kill robbery incident. Passionate about making a difference in the lives of others and leaving people better than I found them.
Copyright 2012. Achieve Success Academy. All Rights Reserved.