Have you ever wondered why some people are more successful than others? Have you ever driven by a mansion and said; “Wow” I wonder what that person does for a living? I have and I’m sure you have too. The study and mastery of self-made people is among one of my top interest. Meeting new people and learning about them fascinates me. However, what really gets my juices flowing is meeting someone that has started from nothing and has built an empire. This is what “self-made” means to me.
Now don’t get me wrong. The word “self-made” has a variety of meanings but for this article we are talking about self-made millionaires, multi-millionaires and even billionaires. Many of you reading this will say, “Money is not everything” and you’re right, but keep reading.
What’s amazing to me is that there are so many variables that must come together to reach that status of “self-made.” Below, I am going to explain what I believe to be the top 18 secrets that must come together to reach the status of “self-made.” But first, let’s not forget what it takes to get to this level. The mastery of these 18 secrets must mesh together with your mission, vision, values and goals.
The Top 18 Success Secrets You Must Master To Achieve Great Things:
1) Stepping outside Your Comfort Zone- You must continually step outside your comfort zone to face different and unique challenges that test your discipline, expertise and resolve.
2) Facing Problems Head-On- When a problem arises you must immediately and aggressively face it head-on to avoid it from getting larger. You must make sure that small problems don’t turn into big problems from the get-go.
3) Open To Change- You must be constantly aware that change will occur. Change is inevitable. Therefore, you must be open to changing your perspective and viewpoints in order to attain your goal and objectives in a more efficient and effective manner.
4) Making Every Second Count- You must be aware that every moment that goes by is an opportunity to do things better, to improve a process or to take the next step towards a bigger objective. Therefore, make every second count by mixing business with pleasure.
5) Be On the Hunt for New Opportunities- You must be on the look-out for new opportunities and ideas that will give you an edge over your competitor.
6) Ask Questions- You must constantly ask solution focused questions that clarify your thinking and help you overcome the challenges that confront you on a daily basis.
7) Challenge Yourself- Whether in business or life you must constantly challenge yourself. You must see everything as an opportunity to strengthen your resolve, expertise in order to grow your empire.
8) Enjoy Life to the Fullest- You must constantly seek out new exciting endeavors, adventures and experiences. In order for life to be lived to the fullest potential you must do this.
9) Have Fun- Turn things into a game. Lighten up and have fun.
10) Meet New People- You must be a passionate networker and people person. You have to find people interesting. It’s about them, not you. Find out what makes them tick. Build relationships that are reciprocal.
11) Try New Things- Step outside your comfort zone. Try something new and exciting.
12) Enjoy Your Work- You must mix work with things that bring you pleasure. By doing this, it will lift your spirits and strengthens your motivation to work for extended hours throughout the day and night.
13) Carry a Journal/Note Pad- Carry a notepad with you in order to capture ideas for new projects, gather feedback from customers and employees, and to write your goals, thoughts and experiences on paper. This will clarify your thoughts and provides you with guidance throughout the day.
14) Surround Yourself with Great People- Surround yourself with business coaches and mentors who act as sounding boards — helping to guide your decisions. Surround yourself with reliable colleagues and co-workers who have similar goals, values and interests. In addition to this, surround yourself with supportive family and friends who believe in your mission and vision.
15) Take Calculated Risk- Take calculated risks in your business and life. You must understand where the boundaries lie and be careful not to over-extend your personal and professional capabilities and capacity to move intelligently through the emotional roller coaster.
16) Take Time to Read and Learn- You must fully understand that lessons are often learned through mistakes and experience. However, lessons can also be experienced within the pages of a book. And it is these book-experiences that will save you an ample amount of time, energy and money.
17) Take Time to Re-Energize Your Body and Dream- You must do what you need to do in order to re-energize your body and mind. Like me, I spend time on the beach daydreaming about my passions. This invigorates my creative mind and strengthens the flow of new ideas.
18) Take Time to Think- Set time aside to plan new projects and create new ideas.
If you implement and master these 18 success secrets, you too can be a “self-made” person.
I’m John R. Salkowski, Founder of AchieveSuccessAcademy.com, Entrepreneur, Leadership/Overcoming PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) Expert, Author and Speaker on Leadership, Success and Overcoming Adversity. Retired Police Officer, Survivor of PTSD stemming from a shoot and kill robbery incident. Passionate about making a difference in the lives of others and leaving them better than I found them.
Copyright 2012. Achieve Success Academy. All rights reserved.