We all have bad days. We all have days where we say, “could it get any worse” or “why did I have to run into that person” or “why did this have to happen to me or “why couldn’t I be born to someone richer and smarter.” Does this sound familiar to you? We’ve all said this at one point or another.
There is a reason why everyday cannot be the best day of our lives. Think about this for a minute. If every day was a good day, what would we learn? There is a reason why we don’t have good days all the time. Don’t get me wrong, every day we wake up is a good day. If we have our health it’s a good day. We have our loved ones, it’s a good day. However, there is a reason why we face challenges and adversity in our lives. The main reason is to learn from it, overcome it and achieve what we’re aiming for.
What would we learn if we had good day’s everyday?
Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed on an equal or greater benefit ~ Napoleon Hill
We learn so much by facing and going through tough times. We learn more from our failures and difficult times than we do from our successes. Here’s what we learn from facing adversity:
1) Resilience ~ ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortune or change
2) Problem solving skills ~ The process of working through details of a problem to reach a solution. Engaging an individual’s critical thinking skills.
3) Being more positive & optimistic ~ The tendency to expect the best and see the best in all things
4) Greater appreciation for people & things ~ Recognition of the quality, value, significance, or magnitude of people and things.
5) Attitude of gratitude ~ The state of being grateful & thankful.
6) Your strength zones ~ The state, property, or quality of being strong, a source of power or force in an area or a region.
7) Your Big “Why” ~ For what purpose, reason, or cause; with what intention, justification, or motive
8) Who too count on during difficult times ~ The state of being a friend; to value a person’s friendship
9) Mental Toughness ~ Psychological attribute that separates greatness from mediocrity.
10) Perseverance ~ Steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success, continuance in a state of grace leading to a state of glory.
“The strongest oak of the forest is not the one that is protected from the storm and hidden from the sun. It’s the one that stands in the open where it is compelled to struggle for its existence against the winds and rains and the scorching sun.” -Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)
As much as we love smooth waters, an Arab proverb states that smooth waters do not make skillful sailors. In this journey we call life, the question is not, “Will storms arise?” Rather, the question is, “When will the next storm arise?” And even more important than that question is, “What type of person will I be when the next storm arises?”
About the Author
John R. Salkowski is the Founder of AchieveSuccessAcademy.com™, Retired Cop, Survivor of PTSD stemming from a shoot and kill robbery incident, Expert on Leadership, Success, Overcoming Adversity, Fear & PTSD, Entrepreneur, Speaker, Author of 3 books; Leadership in The Line of Duty™: 50 Leadership Lessons for Making Split-Second Decisions from a Cop Who Has Been in Life and Death Situations, Leadership in The Line of Duty™: Success Thoughts and Quotes for Leaders and Nothing But Net: Top Secrets to increase your bottom line, Health, Wealth & Success.
Copyright © 2012 Achieve Success Academy™. All Rights Reserved.