Are you grateful?
Have you ever sat quiet for a few moments or even a few hours to let your mind wander? To reflect on things? What do you think about? Do you wish you had a bigger home, nicer car, money in the bank, better job, being thinner, more vacation time, larger salary and the list goes on…right?
Some of my best thinking is done on the beach watching my little girl have the time of her life? Watching her make friends, running into the water, boogie boarding or body surfing. As I sit there watching I allow my mind to wander, “Wow if I only had my daughter’s life when I was growing up.” What if I did? Where would I be now? Have you ever thought about this? We always want a better life for our children than what we had. Do you ever remember being grateful for what you had instead of what you didn’t have?
I am grateful for what I am and have. My thanksgiving is perpetual… O how I laugh when I think of my vague indefinite riches. No run on my bank can drain it for my wealth is not possession but enjoyment ~Henry David Thoreau
We all know someone that has to keep up with the Jone’s. Is it the society we live in to always want something that someone else has? Have you ever noticed someone’s attitude change when they see someone that just may have more than them? Why do people begrudge someone that has more than them or something a little nicer? Why not be happy for someone that may be more successful, richer, better looking or all the above? Instead of begrudging someone for what they have, how about we abjure and are happy for them. Give credit where it’s due! When you show people that you are genuinely happy for them, it comes back to you in more good ways than one.
When people look back on your life, what do you want to be remembered for? This is the question you must have on the forefront of your mind at all times.
Here are 10 tips to help you live a happier, healthier and more grateful life!
1) Realize how truly blessed you are- Be happy with you. Accept yourself as you are. You’re born into this world the way you are. Be grateful for what you are and have, you will end up having so much more!
2) Surround yourself with positive people- It will be hard to be happy and grateful if you associate with negative people. So NO to the Losers and YES to the Winners!
3) Maintain a “Gratitude” journal- Take 15 minutes each night to write what you are most grateful in your life. For example, I’m most grateful for my health, my family and friends, my career, my spirituality. It’s okay if you repeat yourself over and over again.
4) Look for the good in people- We as a society are drawn to the drama and negativity of others misery. Stop that at once! The small things in life matter. Start doing them more often. Turn off the radio and television.
5) Realize the good health and prosperity you have- Our standard of living is by far the best in the world. Treat your body like the temple it is! Eat right, exercise more often, drink enormous amounts of water and get the proper sleep.
6) Realize how rich you really are- We often think that we need more money. This is one of the main reasons why we are not grateful. But do you realize how rich you are now? Just go to Global Rich List, enter your annual income, and see the result. Chances are you are richer than billions of other people. In fact, you most likely sit in the top tier of the world’s richness ranking.
7) Practice how grateful your are- In order to be really good at something you must practice, practice, practice. Take a few minutes each to think about all that is good in your life.
8) Realize you are free and live in peace- There are countries that are being bombarded with bombs. There are people that are scared to death to walk outside of their home. We are blessed that we don’t live in fear and misery.
9) Be a giver instead of a taker- By focusing on giving it just makes more sense that you will be more grateful. Your mind focuses on what you have instead of what you don’t have.
10) Commit today to be more grateful- The above 9 tips can only help you become a more grateful person but in order to be truly grateful you must commit yourself to changing. It starts with you. It starts today. No one can do this for you. If you resolve today to make a commitment on being a more grateful person, your life will change for the better forever!
I’m John R. Salkowski, Founder of AchieveSuccessAcademy.com, Entrepreneur, Leadership/Overcoming PTSD Expert, Author and Speaker on Leadership, Success and Overcoming Adversity. Retired Police Officer, Survivor of PTSD stemming from a shoot and kill robbery incident. Passionate about leaving people better than I found them.
Copyright 2012. Achieve Success Academy. All Rights Reserved.